Faber Radio Presents:
Mary Jean Chan’s Bright Fear
3 August 2023
Poet Mary Jean Chan shares the musical inspiration for their new collection Bright Fear, out now.
When I write, I trust myself. A poem is one of the few spaces in life where I feel entitled to my desires. It’s where I get to decide what to discard and what to keep – to delete a comma or insert a new word – like decorating a room of one’s own.
Crucially, it creates in me a state of flow, which is also what listening to music does for me. As I wrote and edited Bright Fear during the pandemic, I often relied on music for solace and inspiration. When I wanted to train my ear to be more attuned to rhythm, rhyme and reverberations between words, I turned to songs.
Sometimes I study the lyrics of a song to see if I might learn something that could help my own writing; many of the singers I admire are also songwriters. The songs I have chosen for this playlist reflect some new discoveries; others are old favourites. I hope you’ll enjoy them.
Track list for Mary Jean Chan’s Faber Radio playlist:
- ‘Fast Car’ by Tracy Chapman
- ‘我’ by Leslie Cheung
- ‘Supersymmetry’ by Arcade Fire
- ‘It Takes a Fool to Remain Sane’ by Omar Rudberg
- ‘一人之境’ by Terence Lam
- ‘Nobody Else Will Be There’ by The National
- ‘風的形狀’ by Yoyo Sham
- ‘Time After Time (Live at Abbey Road Studios)’ by Sam Smith
- ‘Chemtrails Over the Country Club’ by Lana Del Rey
- ‘Hero’ by Family of the Year
- ‘It’s Time’ by Imagine Dragons
- ‘Riptide’ by Vance Joy
- ‘Strawberries & Cigarettes’ by Troye Sivan
- ‘紅豆’ by Faye Wong
- ‘多少’ by Eason Chan
- ‘Yesterday Once More’ by The Carpenters
- ‘Everybody Wants to Rule the World’ by Tears for Fears
- ‘Seasons of Love’ (from Rent)
- ‘Louder Than Words (Tick, Tick . . . Boom!)’
- ‘With Every Heartbeat’ by Robyn
- ‘VCR’ by The xx
- ‘Strong’ by London Grammar
- ‘Anchor’ by Novo Amor