The Philokalia Vol 2

G.E.H. Palmer
Faber Members pay only £13.59 for this title. Sign up for free during checkout to get your discount.
Proceed to Checkout
ISBN 9780571154661 Format Paperback
Published 30/04/1990 Length 416 pages

About Book

The Philokalia is a collection of texts written between the fourth and the fifteenth centuries by spiritual masters of the Orthodox Christian tradition. First published in Greek in 1782, translated into Slavonic and later into Russian, The Philokalia has exercised an influence far greater than that of any book other than the Bible in the recent history of the Orthodox Church. It is concerned with themes of universal importance: how man may develop his inner powers and awake from illusion; how he may overcome fragmentation and achieve spiritual wholeness; how he may attain the life of contemplative stillness and union with God.

Only a selection of texts from The Philokalia has been available hitherto in English. The present rendering, which is a completely new translation, is designed to appear in five volumes. The first of these was published by Faber & Faber in 1979. The second volume consists mainly of writings from the seventh century, in particular by St Maximus the Confessor, the greater part of which has never before been translated into English. As in the first volume, the editors have provided introductory notes to each of the writers, a glossary of key terms, and a detailed index.

  • About G.E.H. Palmer

    Gerald Eustace Howell Palmer (1904-84) studied at Oxford and was the MP for Winchester from 1935 until 1945. He collaborated in many translations, including The Philokalia.

    More Info
  • Edited By: G.E.H. Palmer

    Gerald Eustace Howell Palmer (1904-84) studied at Oxford and was the MP for Winchester from 1935 until 1945. He collaborated in many translations, including The Philokalia.

    More Info
  • Edited By: Kallistos Timothy Ware

    The Most Reverend Kallistos (Ware), Metropolitan of Diokleia was born in England in 1934 and studied at Oxford. He embraced the Orthodox faith in 1954 and was ordained in 1966, in the same year he became a lecturer at Oxford. He was appointed to a Fellowship at Pembroke College, Oxford, in 1979 and was consecrated as auxiliary bishop in 1982. He retired in 2001 and was elevated to Metropolitan in 2007. He is the author of The Orthodox Church and The Orthodox Way.

    More Info
  • Edited By: Philip Sherrard

    Philip Sherrard (1922-1995) was educated at Cambridge and lectured at Kings College, London and the School of Slavonic and East European Studies from 1970 to 1977. He translated the works of George Seferis and Odysseus Elytis, making their work available to the English-speaking world. He was baptised into the Orthodox Church in 1956.

    More Info